With its ability to address all urinary issues and its provision of a wide spectrum of medical treatment options, the Şişli Florence Nightingale Hospital Neuro-Urology and Functional Urology Center represents a model approach in the field. The Center offers patients a range of methods only recently to Turkey and the region, not only in the field of diagnostics, but also at the treatment stage, including bladder botulinum toxin (botox) applications, bio feedback techniques, every kind of bladder suspension procedure, artificial sphincter interventions, prostate and urethra surgery, and peripheral nerve stimulation.
Nearly two thirds of women encounter urinary problems at some time between puberty and old age, while such problems start appearing in about half of men after the age of 45. Amongst these complaints are urinary incontinence, frequent urination and burning, difficulty in urination, sporadic and drop by drop urination, the sudden need to urinate, waking up at night needing to urinate, inability to urinate due to neurological disease, and a lack of urinary control while coughing and sneezing. Treatments for these symptoms vary greatly depending on the underlying cause. Neuro-Urology is a sub-branch of Urology that examines these underlying causes and delivers treatments accordingly.
Urinary disorder is not only a health problem but a major social and psychological issue; correct diagnostic and treatment approaches increase individuals’ social adaptation and the quality of life of their carers, as well as facilitating the correction of the disorder.
Which patient groups are served by the Neuro-Urology Center?
- All types of urinary incontinence patients
- Women with “sagging bladder”
- Patients with urinary and kidney problems related to congenital spinal cord disability
- Patients with urinary problems related to herniated discs, lumbar tumors and curvatures (scoliosis)
- Stroke patients
- Patients with bladder function-related kidney disease (reflux, neurogenic bladder-related hydronephrosis)
- Prostate disease patients and those who need to decide on surgery for urinary complaints
- Patients with urinary retention or incontinence following urinary tract surgery
- “Urge Incontinence” patients (those suffering from the involuntary loss of urine occurring for no apparent reason while experiencing a sudden need or urge to urinate)
- Patients with urination difficulties due to a lack of any urge to urinate
- Patients at the diagnostic and treatment stages of Parkinsons, Alzheimers, multiple sclerosis and similar diseases
- Patients with chronic pelvic pain / interstitial cystitis
What are the capacities of our Neuro-Urology Center?
- Urological examination and assessment tests
- Uroflowmetry (a computerized system to measure urine flow rate)
- Ultrasonic measurement of bladder urine waste
- Stress and Q-type tests
- Pressure-flow studies
- Pelvic floor EMG
- Flexible cystoscopy
- All types of biochemical, hormonal and microbiological examinations
- Bladder and prostate biopsies
- Organizing medical treatment
- Bladder and pelvic muscle exercises
- Bladder botulinum toxin applications
- Posterior tibial nerve stimulation systems (peripheral neuro-stimulation)
- Sacral nerve stimulator placement
- All types of prostatic surgery
- TUR-prostatectomy (transurethral (urinary tract) endoscopic operations)
- Open prostatectomy
- Vaporization surgery (plasma kinetics and laser)
- Urethral stricture surgery
- Sagging bladder corrective surgery
- Artificial sphincter operations
- Bladder neck bulking agent injections
- Intracavitary treatments
- Pelvic floor exercise treatments
For further information, please apply to the Şişli Florence Nightingale Hospital Neuro-Urology and Functional Urology Center.